“Gerald and Sarah Lee’s 7-year battle with HM Revenue and Customs over a £158,000 capital gains tax bill has opened the door for potential refunds for many self-build homeowners. The dispute centred on when Private Residence Relief applies, ultimately revealing that HMRC had misinterpreted the law for nearly 60 years.”
Quotation by Nigel Holland.
- Landmark ruling on capital gains tax.
- Thousands of self-build homeowners may claim refunds.
- HMRC misinterpreted the law for nearly 60 years.
- The Lees spent around £100,000 on legal and tax advice.
- Tax experts anticipate “thousands” of potential claims.